Fennel Apple Sauerkraut Slaw
I love sauerkraut...I will put kraut on just about anything! I love to throw it on eggs or even in soups, I am always trying to incorporate it into my diet whenever possible. Not only does it taste delicious, but fermented foods have amazing health benefits. Did you know sauerkraut is high in probiotics which are helpful in optimal gut health? I also mention sauerkraut as being a great source for hydration in my 3 Simple Ways to Better Health series. I created this Sauerkraut Slaw for those that love to add kraut into just about anything, but wanted some extra flavor. The apple is a great addition for that salty/sweet combination and the fennel adds extra crunch and amazing flavor. You can serve this with just about anything, it goes great in fish tacos, on top of brats, in a salad, or even tastes great plain!
- 1 Cup Bubbies Sauerkraut
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1/2 Fennel Bulb
- 1 Small Fuji Apple
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1 TSP Fennel Seed
- Salt & Pepper Seasoning
- Spirilize or thinly slice red onion and apple and add to a mixing bowl.
- Thinly slice fennel bulb and add to mixture along with kraut.
- Gently toss mixture until well combined.
- Sprinkle about 1TSP seasoning over slaw and squeeze juice of lemon over top.
- Gently toss the mixture.
- Add 1TBS kraut juice from jar and mix well.
- Serve garnished with chopped fennel.