Cucumber Sauerkraut Slaw
Sauerkraut is great to add to any meal because not only is it tasty, but it helps with digestion by boosting digestive enzymes to help break down your food properly. Kraut is also a great source for probiotics which are the beneficial bacteria that line your gut and also helpful in boosting your immune system. I always try to incorporate kraut with every meal but since that can often times become monotonous and boring, I have spiced it up a bit by adding some cucumber, onion and a fennel seed for flavor. This slaw went great paired with lamb steaks garnished with feta cheese but also works well tossed into salads or is simply refreshing as-is. Check out my Fennel Apple Kraut Slaw for another tasty alternative!
- 1 Cup Bubbies Sauerkraut
- 1 medium cucumber, shredded
- 1/2 Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 TSP Fennel Seed
- 1TSP sea salt
- Combine kraut, cucumber and onion in a bowl.
- Add fennel seed and sea salt. Combine well.
- Let sit for a couple hours before serving or overnight to allow onions and cucumber to pickle slightly.
- Serve as-is or tossed in salads, on top of soup or alongside meat.