Creamy Tomato Soup
There is something so comforting about a bowl of creamy tomato soup, don't you agree? But most tomato soups leave you feeling heavy and sluggish since they are made with loads of heavy cream. Not my recipe. First, we start by adding bone broth so not only is it especially tasty but nutrient dense and nourishing for the gut as well! Then, I added a sweet potato which is my secret ingredient in most of my blended soups because they add a little sweetness but also make for an incredibly creamy soup, just as if you had added heavy cream! This particular recipe is so light and refreshing, it is a perfect soup for summer months paired with a seasonal mixed greens salad.
As for the little Parmesan fritter on top, these are SO easy to make! Just preheat your oven to 400*F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, add a few pinches of Parmesan spacing about a couple inches apart (like you're making cookies) and bake for 4-7 minutes depending on level of crispiness. Parmesan is also an excellent cheese for gut health because it is generally an aged cheese so is higher in probiotic content. YAY!
PS: Need help making bone broth? Make sure to check out my YouTube page where I break down the process in my two-part series, first talking about how to pick the right kind of bones for the broth and second, talking about how to make the broth. If you like the videos, don't forget to subscribe to my channel and give them a thumbs up! As always, you can leave questions in the comments below :)
- 6 cloves garlic, mashed
- 3-4TBS ghee
- 1 medium/large sweet potato, diced
- 1TBS sea salt
- 1/2tsp black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 3-4C turkey broth
- 2 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Heat ghee in dutch oven. Once melted, add garlic and seasoning.
- Add sweet potato and allow flavors to combine for 3-4 minutes.
- Add bone broth and diced tomatoes, bring to a boil then allow to simmer until potatoes soften (about 20-30 min).
- Once veggies soften, allow to cool and blend with an immersion blender (or in a Vitamix) until smooth and creamy.
- Garnish with parmesan, basil, avocado oil and sea salt.