Apple Cider Bone Broth
I am thrilled to share this amazing recipe with you all! Nothing says fall like a warm cup of hot apple cider, don't you agree? I love apple cider but unfortunately many ciders are loaded with processed sugar and are not particularly healthy. Beings as I am always trying to incorporate gut health into every recipe, I wanted to see if there was a way you could incorporate broth into apple cider so it not only tastes delicious but it is healing for the gut as well.
This recipe is incredibly delicious and tasteful, you would never know it includes broth! Plus, it is full of health benefits. Made with real apples, it contains high amounts of vitamin C and is also rich in antioxidants and fiber. Bone broth is excellent for gut health which aids in supporting the immune system and reducing inflammation.
A few things to note on this recipe. I used a chicken broth similar to this recipe but I only used the chicken in the slow cooker with a lemon, nothing else. Also, I slow cooked the carcass for about 8-10 hours so it was a little more mild broth. Another thing to note, when the cider is finished, you can strain the contents and then actually blend everything together to make a savory apple sauce (pictured below). Keep in mind it is not as sweet, as the sweetness from the apples cooked into the cider, but it still tastes great and is just a nice way to reduce food waste!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! xo
- 8-12C chicken bone broth
- 8-12C filtered water
- 10-12 Fuji apples, sliced
- 1 orange, halved
- 6-8 whole cloves
- 3-4 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- Place apples and spices into bottom of slow cooker.
- Fill slow cooker with water and broth. The liquid should equate to about half broth and half water and should fill to about 1-2 inches from top of slow cooker.
- Set slow cooker on low for about 10-12 hours.
- Strain liquid and serve immediately!
- Option to blend the apples (with spices and orange, just remove cinnamon sticks) with immersion blender or in a food processor for a savory apple sauce!