Barbacoa is one of my most favorite proteins to meal plan because it is simple to prepare and the flavors are incredible! Plus, there are a number of dishes you can make with just this one protein like simply adding it to eggs for breakfast or served over mixed greens for an easy meal. This recipe features the elk barbacoa over roasted poblano peppers, which are my favorite thing to roast! Poblano peppers are generally pretty mild although occasionally have a little heat, but that seems to dissipate after roasting. Poblanos are super high in Vitamin A as well as are a great source of iron and fiber. Don't forget about these nutrient dense peppers that are amazing to toss into salads, salsas, roast in the oven, or any sautéed veggie dish!
- 3LBS elk roast (Or beef brisket)
- 2TBS lard (or ghee)
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1TBS chili powder
- 1-2TSP sea salt
- 5 black peppercorns
- 3-4TBS apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 splashes coconut aminos
- 1TBS cumin
- 1TBS oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 2-4 chipotles in adobo sauce (use more/less depending on desired spice level)
- 3C bone broth
- Set slow cooker on low for 24 hours. If you are using brisket, you may only need 8-10 hours for cooking, but with elk meat the longer you slow cook, the better. (Tip: Try cutting the elk into cubes before placing into slow cooker for more tender results)
- In a blender or food processor, combine everything listed above but reserve 2C broth and the meat. It should end up looking like a chunky salsa.
- Add most of sauce to slow cooker (save a few tablespoons for serving) and add remaining 2C bone broth and lard or ghee. There should be about 2 inches or more of liquid in the cooker, if not, add more broth or water.
- Option to season meat with steak seasoning and then place into slow cooker for desired time. Occasionally stir and make sure meat is well coated.
INGREDIENTS STUFFED ROASTED POBLANOS
- 4-6 poblano peppers
- 6TBS olive oil
- 4TSP Himalayan Salt
- 1 head cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 bunch lacitino kale, finely chopped
- 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Coat peppers evenly with 3TBS oil and season with 2TSP sea salt.
- Roast peppers for 20 minutes until skins begin to crisp and peppers soften.
- Meanwhile, combine cabbage, kale, 3TBS oil and 2TSP sea salt in a bowl.
- Add juice of 1 lime and combine until well coated.
- Allow to set at least 1-hour before serving, but best set overnight.
- Remove peppers from oven.
- Lay peppers flat on serving dish and spoon barbacoa mixture into each pepper.
- Top with a scoop of cabbage and kale.
- Finish with mashed avocado, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.