Creamy Avocado Poblano Soup
I have been working on this recipe for a while and I think I have it finally perfected! I was determined to create a rich and creamy avocado soup using bone broth so it was not only full of healthy fats but gut healing as well. I tried a few variations and I think by adding the cumin and roasted poblanos it took the flavor to a whole new level. The sweet potato is my hidden ingredient for giving all of my blended soups a thick, creamy texture, combined with the avocados makes this an incredibly dreamy dish.
I recently blogged about how I am really into making these base soups for my meal planning because they are incredibly easy to make (I break it down into just 5 simple steps!) but are also a great way to consume bone broth throughout the week. I love making a giant pot of these kinds of soup and just having them on hand because I know at the very least when my schedule is super busy that I will always have a nourishing soup to eat. Hope you all enjoy!
PS: Need help making bone broth? Make sure to check out my YouTube page where I break down the process in my two-part series, first talking about how to pick the right kind of bones for the broth and second, talking about how to make the broth. If you like the videos, don't forget to subscribe to my channel and give them a thumbs up! As always, you can leave questions in the comments below :)
- 4TBS coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium white sweet potato, chopped
- 1tsp sea salt
- 2TBS basil
- 2TBS oregano
- 1tsp cumin
- 1/2tsp black pepper
- zest 1 lime
- 4-6C bone broth
- 2 roasted poblano peppers
- 3 ripe avocados, pitted
- Juice 1/2 lime
- 1/3c cilantro
- cotija cheese
- avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Slice poblanos down the middle and discard tops and seeds inside.
- Place on baking sheet and coat with sea salt and oil.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, melt coconut oil in dutch oven.
- Add onion, sweet potato and sea salt and cook until onions begin to sweat
- Add basil, oregano, cumin, pepper, lime zest and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add bone broth and peppers, bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.
- Add avocados, lime juice and cilantro, combine until well mixed.
- Simmer until veggies soft then pure with immersion blender until smooth and creamy.
- Served garnished with extra sea salt, cotija cheese, cilantro, and avocado oil.