Who doesn't love a good, classic Caesar salad? Crunch, crispy, light and zesty...there's nothing better! To me, what makes a perfect Caesar is the dressing. It really can either make or break the salad. I've found that by using Schmaltz (aka chicken fat) as the base, it allows for a light yet creamy texture that doesn't overpower the salad and adds the perfect amount of flavor. You can serve the dressing right away for a lighter consistency or refrigerate for 2 hours for a creamier taste, both are equally as delicious!
- 1 Egg + 1/2 yolk
- 1/2C melted Chicken Fat
- 2TBS Avocado Oil
- 1/4TSP Sea Salt
- 1 Sprig Chopped Rosemary
- Pinch of Pepper
- 1/2 Meyer Lemon, Juiced
- 1/2 Meyer Lemon, Zest
- 1/3C Homemade Yogurt
- 1/2C Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Package Romaine Lettuce Leaves
- 3 Slices Sour Dough Bread, Toasted
- 3TBS Chopped Red Onion
- Edible Flowers for Garnish
- Add the egg and chicken fat into a mixing bowl and whisk briskly with a fork. Make sure the melted chicken fat has time to cool slightly before combining with egg so that the egg does not cook.
- Add remaining ingredients (until lettuce leaves) to mixing bowl, reserving about 1/3C cheese and beat with an immersion blender until well combined.
- Cover dressing and refrigerate for a 2 hours for a thicker dressing or serve immediately for a lighter consistency.
- Drizzle dressing over lettuce garnished with chopped red onion, cheese, and edible flowers.