Rutabaga fries are one of my favorite foods to make, they are so delicious! I think rutabagas are the forgotten root veggie and deserve so much more attention. They're a cross between a turnip and a cabbage and are wonderful when made into fries or even cooked and mashed served along side a pan seared steak. They are a little bitter like a turnip but also have a subtle sweetness that really pops when fried.
- 4-6 Medium Rutabagas
- 1/3C Chicken Fat
- Sea Salt
- Peel and thinly slice rutabagas into strips.
- Heat fat in a skillet until hot and carefully add a handful of fries.
- Fry until golden brown, turning every so often to prevent burning.
- Remove fries from skillet and let rest on parchment paper.
- Continue adding fries to skillet. When complete, drizzle with excess chicken fat from pan and season with sea salt.