Homemade mayo is full of healthy fats and if you have been following me for a while, you know how much I LOVE good quality fats. Fats are incredibly important for the body as fat is actually the preferred source of energy for our cells. It is also important for our brains and organs and essential for healthy hormones. You can read more about the many health benefits of fats in a couple articles I wrote here and here.
Aside from the health benefits of homemade mayo, it is one of my favorite kitchen essentials for having on hand and incorporating into various meals. You can essentially make any of those yummy (but unhealthy) prepared salads in the deli department, like my Carrot, Kale & Raisin salad or my Broccoli & Cauliflower Salad. I love making giant salads like these and having them on hand throughout the week, they are perfect for meal prep!
- 1 farm fresh egg
- 1 1/4C Avocado Oil (a light oil works best like an olive oil but my favorite is avocado)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- lemon zest
- Add egg to blender.
- Add 1/4C oil and combine for a few minutes.
- With the blender speed on slow, SLOWLY add the remaining 1C oil and continue to blend on low/medium speed until contents thicken.
- Once thickened, stop blender and add squeezed lemon juice from 1/2 lemon, sea salt, and lemon zest.
- Blend a few more moments until well combined.
- Scoop out and refrigerate.
*Note: Sometimes it works best to use room temperature eggs so mayo thickens. If mayo does not thicken, you may have added oil too quickly to mixture or not enough. You can always place mayo in fridge to help thicken. You can also use an immersion blender to make mayo as well.