I truly believe you can make just about any traditional holiday recipe healthy. This is my healthy take on the green bean casserole, it is so delicious that I make it year-round! It's too easy and too tasty not to. Hope you enjoy! :)
- 1 package Smoked Bacon, chopped (reserve grease)
- 2TBS Chicken Fat
- 1lb Fresh Green Beans
- 6-8 Crimini Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, sliced
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1TSP Himalayan Salt
- 1/2TSP Black Pepper
- Cook bacon in oven at 400*F for about 12-14 min, reserve the grease and set aside.
- In a small skillet, melt 1TBS chicken fat and begin to dredge onions in egg then in flour and fry until golden brown. Set aside.
- Melt 1TBS chicken fat in separate skillet and add mushrooms.
- Season with sea salt and pepper and cook until mushrooms begin to soften.
- Add 1/2C broth, bring to a boil and continue to cook.
- Add green beans and bacon grease and mix well. If the mixture becomes too runny, add 1TBS of grass-fed gelatin to thicken.
- Add ½ the chopped bacon and onions and bake in oven at 375*F for about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add remaining onions and bacon, season with thyme.