Creamed spinach is one of those dishes I just have to order as a side with my steak. It always was my mom's favorite dish so for mother's day one year, I decided to make a healthier version and it was a huge hit. I used goats milk kefir which is similar to a yogurt but typically with a higher probiotic content. I love the goats milk because it gives the spinach a little extra flavor and the kefir makes for a creamier side, but you can always use regular kefir or just plain milk.
- 2 TBS Chicken Schmaltz
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 package frozen spinach
- 2C Goats Milk Kefir (you can also use regular milk or regular kefir, I like the kefir because it’s a little heavier and is a good source of probiotics plus the goats milk adds a lot of flavor)
- 1TSP Himalayan Salt
- 1/2TSP Black Pepper
- 2C Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Cook the spinach according to the direction on the package; make sure to drain and use a towel to remove any excess moisture.
- Then, melt butter in a saucepan and begin to sauté onion and garlic until onion just barely turns translucent.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Whisk in the kefir and bring to a boil, stirring consistently.
- Bring heat to a simmer and add 1C of parmesan cheese and whisk vigorously until melted.
- Remove heat and add spinach, combine well then fold in the remaining 1C cheese and mix until cheese melts.
- Place over stovetop if you need to reheat.
- Serve garnished with extra cheese and chopped green onion.